Social Work Placement Providers

Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)

The Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) is the UK regulatory body for Social Work along with thirteen other health professions. The profession title is protected by law, therefore to practice as a Social Worker you must be registered with the HCPC.

Key tasks of the HCPC:

  • Monitors and develops policy and strategy
  • Maintaining and publishing public register of properly qualified members of the profession
  • Approving and upholding high standards of education and training, and continuing good practice;
  • Investigating complaints and taking appropriate action;
  • Working in partnership with the public, and a range of other groups including professional bodies;
  • Promoting awareness and understanding of the aims of the Council.
  • Six guiding principles of the HCPC
    • Protecting the public
    • Transparency
    • Communication and responsiveness
    • Providing a high quality service
    • Value for money
    • Working collaboratively

Registration with the HCPC will be applied for once you have completed your studies. However, the HCPC are acutely aware that students within the Higher Education system will need support and advice throughout their studies. The council have therefore produced a policy for students. It is expected that all students adhere to this guidance as well as those offered by the University.

HCPC Links

Other links

LJMU PLSU Information

The Practice Learning Support Unit (PLSU) is responsible for the allocation of placements and notification of these to students via email.  The PLSU is also responsible for monitoring all student sickness, absence and attendance in both academic teaching and placement areas.  We are the first point of contact for any queries you may have regarding your placements.

Travel Costs:  Social work students’ reasonable costs of necessary travel in placement to carry out work of agencies are met by placement providers.  LJMU has no funds for that purpose.  A daily fee is paid to each agency for social work placements, out of which student travel costs should be reimbursed by agencies.  Students are responsible to pay all travel to and from placement.

Content owner: Sarah Marshall

Page last modified 23 October 2012.

Send feedback
LJMU Logo banner imageLJMU Logo banner image (print)