Connecting to fileshares
If a group of staff need to work on or access the same files, a shared area of filestore or "File Share" can be set up on the network. This works in a similar way to your Personal Filestore (drive M) but can be accessed by more than one person. It has all the advantages of the M drive in terms of safety, security, and convenience, and is much more efficient than other ways of sharing files (e.g. passing floppy disks around the office).
Setting up a file share is a two stage process:
To have a file share set up for a group of staff, PLN have created the Fileshare creation request form. This form will allow you to provide all of the information PLN need in order to set up the share. Once we have created the share, we will then contact you with confirmation details that the share has been created.
To access your file share you need to make a connection to the appropriate server and service.
- Right click on the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop
- Select the option Map Network Drive
- Enter the following information:
- Drive - choose any available free drive letter from the dropdown list, but avoid using H, I or P (these are used by many pieces of software in the Subject Software and Information Services groups). It may be helpful if all members of the group use the same letter, so you can then refer to the file share as, for example, Drive W
- Path - Enter the Server and Service names you have been given, in the form \\Server\Service e.g. \\JT2\YOURFILESHARE.
- Click in the check box Reconnect at Logon - the fileshare will be automatically reconnected every time you log on
Click on OK