Students with dependent children: funding information

31 January 2012

If you are a student with dependent children are you sure you are getting all the funding you are entitled to?

Lynne Condell, Student Funds Manager at LJMU and Chairperson of the National Association of Student Money Advisers says:

"Student funding is complex and we know that many students don't claim everything they should claim just because they simply don’t know what they are entitled to.

"The added problem of having to claim different elements of support from different agencies such as your student finance from one place, your free school meals from another and your housing benefit from yet another, means too many forms and not enough time. Students don’t apply either because they don't think they can claim or because they simply can't find the time to fill in all the forms.

"While we can’t make extra time in your day we are happy to help with forms so contact us on 0151 904 6056/6057 or "

If you want to find out more about what support is available then visit:

Students with children are the main priority for additional funding that LJMU has from the Government, The Access to Learning Fund (ALF). The Student Advice Team is urging all student parents to apply. Any money that you receive from this fund is normally a grant - so you do not have to pay it back.

You can download the form here or pick one up from your Learning Resource Centre

Page last modified by Corporate Communications on 31 January 2012.
LJMU Logo banner imageLJMU Logo banner image (print)