Did you know?
If everyone in the North West ran a tap for one minute every day it would be enough in a year to fill a major reservoir.
- A typical user contaminates 13,000 gallons of clean water to flush away only 165 gallons of bodily waste a year.
How to save water in your home:
- check for leaks and faulty washers
- take showers instead of baths
- wait until you have a full load before using your washing machine – buy one which has half-load capacity or low water usage
- refrigerate drinking water to save running the tap waiting for cold water
- collect rainwater for watering the garden/washing the car – or bike
- water your garden in the evenings to avoid evaporation
- use cooking water as stock
- recycle more – use washing up/bath water to flush the toilet or to water the soil around non food plants
- fit spray taps, faucet aerators, low flow shower heads and dual flush toilets all help to conserve water
- write to your local water company asking how much water it loses in its pipes through leakage and what it is doing about it