Web based printing
Working from home ?
Got a wireless laptop or even a Mac in your office ?
Using OpenSuSE or Ubuntu or any other linux distribution ?
Now you can print to the FollowMe printer queue. All you need is a web browser such as Internet Explorer ( Windows ) or Safari ( Mac ) or Firefox ( linux ). Open the URL:
You'll need to authenticate using your username / password. The https part of the URL means that your password is securely encrypted, so it's perfectly safe.
After that it's a simple matter of choosing a Black & White or Colour queue, then browsing to the file you want to print on your PC or Mac. Finally Submit the job for printing.
It uses the same "Tap & Print" system with your LJMU card, the same as your office desktop or lab PC. Jobs are held in the queue for 24 hours so you must pick up any document the next day.
Location of FollowMe printers within the School
||Aficio MP 7000
||Black and White
||Aficio MP C3300
||Aficio MP C2800
||Aficio MP C2800
|Quiet Study Area
||Aficio MP C3500
Customising your print jobs
When you select File -> Print you'll see a window like this:
Notice that the FollowMe printer is selected Next to that is a button called Properties. Some applications call this Preferences - it's the same thing. Click on the Properties or Preferences button. The Setup tab should automatically be shown:
The most common things you might want to change are shown in the table below.
||Change this to Off for single-sided printing|
||Change this to On for a multi-page document stapled together.|
||Fairly obvious, but don't send a colour printout to a Black & White printer.|
Built in resilience
You may have noticed that your Default printer queues are called:
FollowMe on printsrv3
"Use the FollowMe queue on the machine printsrv3"
So what happens if the machine printsrv3 is unavailable ? Well the FollowMe queue is replicated on other machines such as printsrv4 & printsrv5. They all do exactly the same thing. Choose a different FollowMe queue should your Default one fail.
All printers can also do photocopies, and here are just a few guidelines:
- When you want to do a copy with the feeder on the top of the printer, you can’t put anything near the paper you want to copy, because there are sensors all over the top of the tray to detect the paper size. This will cause a misfeed if you disrupt these sensors.
- When you look at the copy display, a percentage sign is displayed on the right side of the screen. You can use this to resize any document where 100% is original size, anything over 100% increases the size and vice versa.
- A3 documents must be copied as Landscape.
This is unavailable on all printers except the one in the Admin Unit. All scans are sent to a network share that only members of the Admin team have access to.
Special note for the Aficio MP 7000
This is only available to staff & is the only non-colour printer. Commonly referred to as "The photocopier" it can be used as a regular printer just like all the others, however the arrangement of the paper trays is rather unusual.
- Tray 1 is split into a left & right side.
- Fill the right side first & close it, then wait until the whirring noise stops.
- Now fill up the left side & close that, but make sure that you don't put more paper in the left side than you did for the right.
Do all that & when Tray 1’s right side empties, the left side can push paper over to the right side.