What to do if you are ill and have assessments

27 January 2011

Swine ‘flu / norovirus and assessments: advice for students

If you think you have swine ‘flu or the Norovirus, stay at home and contact your GP. They will be able to assess you and decide what treatment is appropriate. Do not come into the University, even if you are supposed to be sitting an examination or are due to hand in coursework. 

Instead you should call 0151 231 3289 or contact the Student Zone in your nearest Learning Resource Centre:

Staff will be able to contact the relevant people in your academic School/Department to let them know that you are ill and unable to attend the University. You are not expected to do this yourself. 

Staff will also be able to advise you on whether you need to submit a Personal Mitigation Circumstances (PMC) request and what options are open to you if you have completed coursework but are too ill to make it into the University.

You are usually required to submit a medical certificate along with your PMC request if you miss a deadline or examination due to illness. However, LJMU recognises that it may not be possible for you to obtain such certification if you have swine ‘flu or the Norovirus. 

But don’t leave it to the last minute to contact LJMU. If you are ill, please contact the University as soon as possible. We are here to help.

Page last modified by Corporate Communications on 27 January 2011.
LJMU Logo banner imageLJMU Logo banner image (print)
LJMU banner image
LJMU Dream, Plan Achieve - Page ID:117121