The LJMU student experience is designed to give all undergraduates the opportunity to gain a respected academic qualification plus the skills and experience demanded by employers in all sectors of the economy.
We know that a lot of our students are in paid work at the same time as they are studying at the University. Juggling existing work commmitments and studying can be difficult, particularly when students are completing work-related learning which is an essential component of their undergraduate course.
That’s why we set up the Opportunity Fund to provide financial support to students engaged on placements or other relevant work-related opportunities. This fund is supported by donations and in order to qualify for support, you must be engaged in activities which have a direct link or add value to your course in line with the University’s World of Work (WoW) programme.
Eligibility and application process
- You must be enrolled and attending a full time undergraduate LJMU course
- You must be able to show a commitment to the University’s World of Work (WoW) programme.
- You must be a Home student – international and EU students are not eligible.
- Applications will not normally be accepted from students on courses with funded placement such as teaching, Social work and NHS students
- You will need to apply on the relevant application form and provide documentation of your income and expenditure as well as evidence of your placement and associated costs.
- If you are attending a LJMU course at a partner institution you are not be eligible.
While the support provided will vary depending upon your circumstances, the purpose of the fund is to ensure that students do not miss out on invaluable work experiences and opportunities due to lack of funding, either statutory or discretionary.
Funding may be in the form of assistance with travel costs, accommodation or other living costs. Any awards are normally non repayable.
You should be aware that awards are means tested.
The form will be available to download from September.