Why should you apply? Criteria and benefits
Our unique Sports Scholarship scheme will provide comprehensive performance and lifestyle support to students with proven sporting and athletic ability.
LJMU Sport Scholarships, Who Should Apply?
- LJMU encourages applications from elite athletes competing in any recognised BUSA, World University Games, Commonwealth games and Olympic games sport. LJMU will offer Sports Scholarship support to athletes from sports that LJMU is best equipped to provide for, in terms of ‘coaching expertise’, ‘sports science expertise’ and ‘facilities’.
- Junior or Senior International standard athletes from all sports are encouraged to apply, as are athletes competing at elite club level.
- It should be noted that the competitive level benchmarks detailed above serve as preliminary guidelines for the level of athlete eligible to apply. Meeting these guidelines does not guarantee a LJMU Sports Scholarship.
- Sports Scholars will have the potential and dedication to reach world-class potential or performance level (or equivalent) in their sport.
- Sports Scholarships will be available to both existing LJMU students and prospective LJMU students. The Sports Scholarship Scheme is university wide. Students applying for an LJMU Sports Scholarship can study any LJMU course both at undergraduate and post-graduate level.
- LJMU Sports Scholars are athletes who have fulfilled the normal academic requirements for undergraduate or post-graduate entry and are enrolled on an LJMU course.
- Sports Scholars must make satisfactory progress in both their sporting and academic pursuits to have their Scholarship renewed annually
Scholarship support is designed to help the scholars in every aspect of their sport while at the University. The scheme provide scholars with:
Sport Performance Support:
- Specialist Sports Science support:
- A range of fitness tests and profiling
- Strength and conditioning programmes
- Nutritional advice / Hydration consultation
- Mental training/Sport Psychology support
- Individual or opposition match/technique analysis
- Regularly scheduled sports science seminars on latest relevant issues
- Year round and unlimited access to the 13 Lifestyles Gyms and fitness centers courtesy of Liverpool City Council
- A range of LJMU branded sports kit
- Support for competition and training related travel, accommodation, kit and equipment.
- Privileged access to University sport facilities
- Privileged accesses to University sport massage facilities
- High profile recognition and reward, including enrolment into the unique LJMU Sports Scholarship hall of fame
At LJMU we understand the difficulty in balancing the difficult demands of university life, studying, training and competing. Our innovative scheme will provide Sports Scholars with unparalleled support and flexible programmes to enable talented and ambitious athletes to excel in both academic and sporting pursuits. Through the assistance of personally assigned mentors we will ease the burden on scholars to provide necessary lifestyle support and academic flexibility to effectively balance study, training, and competition commitments.
- Individually assigned sports mentors dedicated to coordinating scholar’s athletic and academic schedules
- Travel passes (bus, train, ferry) to aid journeys to training, competition and study venues across Merseyside courtesy of Merseytravel
For further information please contact David McDermott, Sports Scholarship Manager by email: firstname.lastname@example.org